Monday
We had big plans for today. Feeling like we have the hook up routine down, we thought, "we can get to Independence today by noon and still have time to go to Truman's boyhood home." I laugh at our ambition.
It took us a little while to get out of Joplin but the "short" 3 hour drive felt like an eternity. The camper did not feel as stable as yesterday, and none of us were in particularly "feel the love" type of moods. Kaleb woke at midnight with a 102.3 fever, we woke Jacob up getting medicine for Kaleb, Jacob was not interested in going back to sleep and then decided 5:30 was the official wake up time.
Thankfully, I found a Starbucks yesterday evening. This morning it was like a beam of God's goodness when Phil went and got us Ventis. Meanwhile, I decided to call Kaleb's pediatrician. He has been running a fever now for 2 days and I noticed some blister/bump looking things on his knees and elbows. Praying that this is NOT Hand-foot- and mouth (that name always sounds like a disease you pick up at a dirty bar-) I talked with a nurse. Naturally, she said that she recommended we go to an Urgent Care, just in case. I knew this but didn't want to make the decision. Adulting sucks.
I get on trusty Google and read reviews for some pediatric urgent cares, find one that looks great and call my insurance # to make sure they are in network. I truly despise insurance. Our's is so terrible we really only have it in case of a really bad illness, accident or something that would cost 100s of thousands of $. Other than that type of situation, we end up paying full price for everything bc our deductible is insane. I digress... anyhow, the clinic I found does take our insurance (yippee) and is less than 10 min from the campground. Win-win, or so I thought.
You know how some "urgent cares" are now really stand alone ERs? And they bill like an ER visit? Well... I think this one was one of them. Don't get me wrong- if you have an emergency, I will shell out any amount of money I have to for my babies.... but a fever? I am used to a $100-$150 copay, but the least costly ER visit we have experienced (with Jacob last summer when he had "Nurse Maid's elbow") was $650. My baby was in terrible pain, I had no problem with that visit! However, I was not prepared today. You know, we just had a ton of water damage to our house... have a $3,000 deductible and now this extra unexpected bill. I desperately try not to worry about $, God has blessed us and we are fiscally responsible... I am just a "planner" and some things you cannot plan for. Adulting is HARD.
Back to Dr visit. Sweet Kaleb was like a wilted flower when we got there. He was burning up and so tired. 102, again. Checked him, no HFM, Praise the Lord and then came the Strep test. Poor baby, I had to pin him down in my lap. I HATE having to do that. But, he got a popsicle and a negative result after. I wiped his tears and took him to Target for a small toy. (He picked a bow and arrow so that he could shoot with my Papa Bob once we get to WaKeeney)
Just a virus that has to run its course... it is hard not getting exact answers but I am so thankful it wasn't HFM or strep that the unknown is a-ok with me.
Also at Target, I picked up a Bullet blender to make smoothies for him. He hasn't been eating very much and I know I can get him to eat smoothies (packed with nutrients). I even put coconut water in with it tonight to help with hydration and it was delicious.
Both boys are fast asleep now, phew. Time for Phil and I to watch "Detour"... it is a ridiculous comedy about a road trip with kids... ha!

No comments:
Post a Comment