Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Buck Stops Here...

Tuesday

We were so thankful to have a full day to enjoy Independence and Kansas City. No long drives in the car today!!

Our original plan was less crazy than what actually happened. I knew that just one night stops would zap our energy... but I did not realize how much we would be affected by only being able to drive 55 mph. This made us wayyyy off "schedule" and created a "ride or die" mentality to make it to Independence. Live and learn.

But today was the day we have been looking forward to! Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and the National World War I Museum! The original plan had allowed for each to have their own "day" but, we were still excited with what we had.

Kaleb was bouncing around like it was his birthday... my sweet little history loving son! Both boys had on army shirts, but Kaleb had an accident and could not wear his. He was SO sad. I looked at all of the shirts we had left to give him options, "Mommy, pleeeaaase tell me we have another history shirt." Me, "look honey, we have the shirt Mommy designed (#remembertheladies)" and his
reaponse was priceless.... "oooh yes, women are super important in history." ***sigh of feeling quite accomplished***

His little brother, however, was not amused with either museum. I have had the privilege of touring both museums before... so I took on baby duty and let Phil enjoy them with Kaleb. I can say that I at least walked through both (though at a relatively fast pace, hahaha).

Kaleb learned about what primary sources are at the Truman Library and completed a fun scavenger hunt at the WWI Museum. He was just soaking it up... and I was loving watching him!! In the car between museums he said "Mommy, can you explain the Marshall Plan to me again." Be still my heart :). I got to show him my favorite motto for any leader- "The buck stops here." Ahhhh look at that accountability and leadership.

While Kaleb was relishing in all of the history- Jacob tested the comfiness of the carpet at the Truman Library.


We even had a hearty dinner at home! I was so proud of myself for actually pulling this one off. I threw in our small crockpot at the last second ... knowing that cooking in the camper on a hot day would be pretty miserable. I made shredded chicken and egg noodles. Not everyone loved it (ahem, Kaleb who doesn't like his food "mixed") but it was delicious.

My personal favorite part of our day was going to the Clinton Soda Shop (where Truman worked during his younger years). Kaleb was adorable when getting to pick from ALL of the options! Their chocolate malts are absolutely to.die.for.

The night ended with Phil getting to meet up with an Army buddy, Troy, who is currently stationed at Ft. Leavenworth. And.... he successfully re-entered the camper without waking the boys!! Phew





No comments:

Post a Comment